This is the blog for the Stage Movement Class at Metro State University in Denver. We'll be discussing our readings and viewings for class here.

May 8, 2015

Stage Movement Play Review

 I went to go see Avenue Que, and I really liked it. I thought that the musical was very entertains and fun to watch, though the movement was a bit weird. I will admit I have never worked with puppets and so I cant say how true this is but I think that they could have done a better job with moving, when it came to the actors that had two people for one puppet. Most of the puppets had one person and then a stick that was attached to one of the puppets arms and then there were two actors for other puppets, one would have the mouth and hand and the other had the other puppets hand. Personally I think that when the two actors were walking on stage, it was like a rehearsal because the person playing the second had would almost always be chasing the other person, not to mention some of the hand movements were just random movements from the second hand.
          I thought that each actor with his or her own puppet was fine and I didn’t see the need for a second actor to be the second hand, but what I found out was that because the Broadway version did it then they did it. Just because it was on Broadway doesn’t mean you have to do it that way and if so then it needs to be practiced a lot more.
          There was also this spiral staircase and it was really cool to look at but I would watch the actors trying to get up and down, and on several occasions they looked like they were going to fall and die! I freaked out several times and I thought to myself, yes it was a cool set piece but not a very safe one if all the actors were nearly dying whenever they were on it.
          I did enjoy the musical though.

No comments:

Post a Comment