This is the blog for the Stage Movement Class at Metro State University in Denver. We'll be discussing our readings and viewings for class here.

Jan 29, 2014

Creative Movement Questions

I would like to start by saying ... I am not a blogger! So I'm not sure of the proper blogging edict. Was I supposed to start a new post? Hope so because here we go.

My 3 favorite questions (or at lest their title & my answers):


Body awareness:
I am a dancer, ex-medical massage therapist and yoga teacher with fibromyalgia, so I am extremely in touch with my body. Sometimes it is my body that will let me know what emotion is about to arise. For example, I may not yet know I’m grumpy, but I am very aware that I do not want to be touched at that moment and I’m walking very heavily.

Spontaneity:
I wouldn’t say I am locked in categorical habit patterns of movement, but I do have some good old faithful things I fall back on quite often. I would say I’m unlocked, but the hinges could use some WD-40. Hopefully this class will help me with that, wink-wink.

Musicality and rhythm:
I’m a little scitzo in my personal rhythm.  I can go from 0-100 in 1 second flat, and likewise from 100-0.  Sometimes I am in a super slow rhythm, but I have to go in and teach my Zumba class, so I put on my fake-it-til-you-make-it smile, which actually affects my real rhythm and turns it up to 100. I love how that works.

Almost forgot the picture!

Photo by Jen Archer, "Sistine" performed by Ascential Dance Theatre Colorado 2012. From left to right: Jess Eggart (ME!), Leslie Merril, Tobi Compton, Jessica Garcia, Diana Tobias.

Hope that is what you were looking for. See you all on Friday.


No comments:

Post a Comment