This is the blog for the Stage Movement Class at Metro State University in Denver. We'll be discussing our readings and viewings for class here.

May 9, 2014

Movement Questions... like 3 of them... yeah

Eli Stewart
05-09-2014
Stage Movement
Prof. Jenn Boughn

Creative Movement Questions
·         Spontaneity: Am I locked in categorical habit patterns of movement or am I able to react freely?
For the most part, when I do scenes or become a specific character, I try to discover the way they would walk based off of their given circumstances. However, they started out very generalized. I am able to focus more on specifics now, simple things like how they walk (side to side, up and down, etc.) or the pace at which they move.
·         Musicality and Rhythm: What is my rhythm habitually? Can I adapt to other pulses, phrasings, tempos?
My rhythm tends to be slower and more casual than the general person. I speak and walk with purpose. Other tempos, pulses, etc. come naturally to me because I have a strong internal rhythm.
·         Tension and Release: Am I holding? Am I letting go? Where am I too tight or too loose to move with integrity and clarity? How do I let go or be more precise?

I can be pretty tense at times. I knew of tension in my shoulders and lower back at the beginning of the semester. I have stretches that I do to let that tension go. I also discovered over the course of the semester that I have jaw tension as well, which is related to the tension in my shoulders. Simple stretches can be done to relieve  that as well. Once I have released said tension, I am able to move well, with integrity and clarity, but if I have not given these places attention, that is when my movement suffers.

No comments:

Post a Comment