This is the blog for the Stage Movement Class at Metro State University in Denver. We'll be discussing our readings and viewings for class here.

Mar 16, 2017

Reading Responses - Start of Semester to March 10th

Reading Responses

Body Wisdom - Chapter 4 - Body Energizers: The four body energizers that are outlined in this reading are the same we explored in class. I enjoyed learning this tool and have begun to incorporate some of these aspects of energy control in to my performances. I have found the most use of radiant energy in my internship with Kaiser Permenente, My character is very energetic and expressive, he is quite crazy and sporadic as well. I also have found value in grounded energy for my portrayal of Arthur Robertson. It is very nice to have such a detailed description of the exercises we have been doing while I have been at MSU Denver. I am very eager to mess with the water experiments!

Movement for Actors - Bringing the Past into the Present: Period Dance on the Stage and in the Curriculum: This section was very interesting due to the fact that this is my first semester of movement education ever. I have experience acting, but none with learning period movement or dance. I am in this class, and also I am in tap dance. This combination has awakened my awareness of my body and brought me to appreciate this type of class.

Body Wisdom - Chapter 13 - Personal Space Spheres: It was interesting to explore interacting personal space spheres when wearing our period costumes. It made it very difficult to walk around while having a sword and being conscious not to hurt anyone. I thought it was interesting how the costumes changed my inner and outer focus. This definitely gave me an idea of how I need to view each part of my body in order to control each one. The circular sections where movement occurs was a wonderful visual for me. The section on posture and alignment was valuable to me because it helped me to get a better grasp of how to handle my center of gravity.

Movement for Actors - Shakespeare Honors the Three Centers of the Body: Shakespeare brought attention to the three centers of the body in his texts. He very much created the persons and characters to be dynamic in this way. In a way it seems that Shakespeare aimed to bring the dynamic potential of his fellow human to their attention through his poetic creations. The three were the heart or feeling center, the body, or sexual center, as well as the mind.

Be a Clown: What an awesome read! I have known about clowns through the common birthday clown deal. Also through underground (or formerly underground) rap artists such as Tech N9ne (Killer Clown), Hed PE (Sad Clowns), and even the ever so ridiculous Insane Clown Posse. These artists have taken clowning to a different level but with the same idea in mind, each clown has its own characteristics and roles in life, there is a diversity between the groups. The outfit is less important than the mannerisms of the clown. You can be a clown without paint which is somthing I have never heard about. On that note I am tying to figure out what my hat will be, I am thinking a combination of a hat and a bandana, or a bandana and a bandana will do.

Chapter 3 - Taihenjutsu: During our explorations I felt that my body is ready for this type of movement. I quickly realized that my mind was not quite ready. I have control over my movements but not in that way quite yet. This chapter gave me good warm ups and stretches, but also a very good way to read and get my mind prepared to move this way in a healthy and controlled manner. I agree with the text in that I am not down with the Captain Kirk, my knees suck.






No comments:

Post a Comment