This is the blog for the Stage Movement Class at Metro State University in Denver. We'll be discussing our readings and viewings for class here.

Mar 30, 2017

Viewing response: Inspirations and Aspirations

Hi! So here's a series of videos I was going to show to you in class and talk to you about, but since I'm ill I thought you all could have fun watching them on your own. These are only a few of the many amazing clowns out there, and I've posted annotations with each, so you can get my take on them, why I chose to show them, etc.
If you could please make a "reading" response post responding to these clips, then we can discuss further when we return on the 7th. Same parameters as your normal reading responses.

This is just pure genius re: isolation of his body parts, and especially that creating the world using focus and physicality, that we discussed before break.
Who knew plastic shopping bags could be sublime? And who's his chair?
Okay people: this is Bill Irwin, Super Clown Genius, and I am not kidding. I took a workshop from him, and...just. No words. I adore this piece because it's postmodern, or at least it makes scathing commentary on postmodernism in theatre. Also, the way this man MOVES...The entire show is up on YouTube as well, I believe.
.

The Master himself. This is classical mime at its most incredible. Note how he is dressed very much like a Commedia character, or a classical ballet dancer. Also: HOW does he isolate his FACE like that?? 

CLOWNLYMPICS INSPIRATIONS: Here are some amazing sporting events that I hope you all feel inspired by and in awe of:

 
Short, sweet, simple. Beginning, middle, and end. Monty Python. Need I say more?
Paul Hunt is quite the gymnastics virtuoso. Search for his balance beam routine too: it's extraordinary. And talk about your taihenjutsu punchline ending!
A classic sports scene from the movie City Lights. Obvs some unsafe stuff here, but do admire and note the incredible choreography here. Yes, clowning takes lots and lots of rehearsal.

No comments:

Post a Comment