This is the blog for the Stage Movement Class at Metro State University in Denver. We'll be discussing our readings and viewings for class here.

Apr 5, 2014

Video Response


While I didn’t think anything Rowan Atkinson did was funny, I could “see” the drum set. I would not have been able to “see” it if he didn’t have a very clear picture in his head.

Marcel Marceau’s piece is what I think of when I think of classic clowning and miming. Something I would like to avoid looking like at all costs. Also, there was something going on with his costume in the crotch area that kept bringing my eye back to his twig-n-berries. Another thing I want to avoid at all costs.

When it comes to the Bill Irwin clip, I see why you like him so much Jenn. It was funny and he has complete control over his body. He was doing very difficult moves and making them look effortless. I also helps that there was dancing in the clip, you know how I’m bias in that department.

I found the Jeff Wills clip very interesting.  I do enjoy watching the arial performers, but a lot of times they look so clumsy in-between each move.  I think it was a great idea to make an arial fabric act into a comedy. So I guess what I’m getting from these videos is that any comedic physical performance can be called clowning. 

 Clowns Ex Machina. Photo by Vanessa Lenz.     http://circusnow.org/causes/clowns-ex-machina/

No comments:

Post a Comment