This is the blog for the Stage Movement Class at Metro State University in Denver. We'll be discussing our readings and viewings for class here.

Mar 13, 2015

An introduction to clowning

So even though class was canceled today, I took some time to reflect on my past experiences with clowning in my high school theatre class.

Originally we were supposed to be doing mask work and molding a mask to fit our face, but the supplies didn't come in on time so it got modified to clowning and commedia del arte! Which I prefer so much more...

We started off with silent movies, watching the masters at their work! Buster Keaton, Charlie chapman, the classics. They encompassed the idea of a human cartoon which I feel is the true meaning of clowning and why it goes hand in hand with commedia. Both are forms of over exaggerated movement in theatre.  I anticipate we'll be watching plenty if silent films in this unit :)

No comments:

Post a Comment