This is the blog for the Stage Movement Class at Metro State University in Denver. We'll be discussing our readings and viewings for class here.

Mar 13, 2015

Reviews are in


Chase scene

With Jason and Ashara, I really enjoyed watching the constant chase the two had worked out and I liked how Jason seemed constrained by his outfit yet his body fought to be loose due to his inebriation so he almost had two body positions. His top half was upright and straight with weak and wobbly legs for his lower half making it enjoyable to watch. Asharas ability to stand and be still when she was listening showed excellent body control because it made her character powerful. There was no fidgeting with her hands and when she did move they were strong movements. I would caution her about over using facial gestures and expressions and to suggest subtleness especially in intimate theatres (I know, I’m a hypocrite) because it almost made her character not as smart. Great scene.

Love Letters

All three actors represented their bodies well. What I mean is everyone in the scene seemed to grasp the underlining principle of proper body posting for who their characters were. Bryan’s ability to function so perfectly in heels shows a man with excellent coordination. Gustovo played his character smoothly, going from over towered by one character to eye to eye with the next and yet his body positioning and character stayed the same and he was able to work different nuances of going from weak to strong. I liked how Jordan stared out into nothing in her small monologue scene looking from the soldier and away. Her body positioning and stance, for some reason combined with the outfit and her look of distain made her seem like a women looking out over a desolate baron field ruined by locusts (sorry I didn’t see Cinderella) and that shows acting ability from simple body positioning. I really enjoyed this scene due to the high level of believe and intent from behind the actors in it.

Marry Who

All three actresses in this scene showed proper body positioning and carried themselves well. That said I was a little sad to see Tatum’s character in the scene to be so brief. I think Nikki wins costume award and I enjoyed how she held herself and walked, it reminded me of a queen bee, buzzing almost, especially with her use of the hand fan. Audrey had put in a lot of work to appear daft as a character and I liked how she appeared to be overly upright and proper but her lines said she didn’t care about such things. I think this was the hardest of the scenes due to the complexity of what was going on between Audrey and Nikki’s characters so to incorporate so much blocking and movement while maintaining proper body posture between the two was impressive.

Father Son

Zane could play a king in any Shakespeare play and do so convincingly. His stance as a soldier was awesome because just by standing he portrayed confidence and strength and his words come out strong and deep from his position of power. From an acting point I was extremely disappointed in myself for going to a high level too early and being stuck there, I had told myself repeatedly not do that but I did it anyway. From a body movement perspective I was satisfied that I maintained the posture and body positioning that I started with.

What an enjoyable day of class Friday was.

 Scott.

 

 

No comments:

Post a Comment