This is the blog for the Stage Movement Class at Metro State University in Denver. We'll be discussing our readings and viewings for class here.

Apr 15, 2011

By blood a king, in heart a clown.

Walking on Sunshine:
WOW! I absolutely appreciated the detail that you guys paid attention to in terms of costumes and very specific choices. You were all very well rehearsed and I was impressed with the strides you guys made in creating a smooth overall understanding of the story by simply using a few chairs and music. Your physical gestures were really specific, especially the tripping and the 'Chariots of Fire' moment where nearly everyone ate shit. Loved it! I wish we could have heard the music a bit better, but over all it was really well executed.

(A few shades lighter than) Black Swan:
I loved the premise of you piece, and although it didn't exactly fit the criteria of creating your own original clownolympic story, I really appreciated the fact that you guys took a risk in recreating a dark story, which produced a very humorous affect. You didn’t have hats, which would have provided another option for variation, but I thought the feathers were awfully cute and nice touch to tie us into your story. You guys took a lot of time in syncing with your music which was an AWESOME effect, especially when Mallory first opened the curtain and lunged forward and was caught in the bar with the crashing music in the background. That was my FAVORITE moment. I felt this performance was more similar to what our Suess finals will be in recreating a story with our own flavor, which is definitely clowning process. Bravo!

A Very Thin Line:

I’m so proud of our group. We took a little bit of each of our ideas and incorporated it into the final product, which I loved. I thought our hats served us well and we all did a nice job of incorporating the character we created with some of the initial clowning exercises. I loved that we had Commedia- like stock characters, which are so endearing. I would say I specially loved Nicole’s hat and adorable physicality across the tightrope, Jenn was awesome to work with and provided my character a sort of ‘backboard ‘to work off of as the encouraging clown, which made my job easier. Zac was my favorite character of our group as the (not so) fearless leader. His physicality really enhanced our performance and helped give us lots of structure.

Great Job Everyone!

No comments:

Post a Comment