This is the blog for the Stage Movement Class at Metro State University in Denver. We'll be discussing our readings and viewings for class here.

Apr 10, 2011

Clownolympics!!!

Demonic Black Swan Ice Capades -

I thought that this skit was interesting and very entertaining, but didn't think that it met the criteria for what was asked for this assignment. First, we were asked to get a hat that was then going to help us find a character and personality for out skits. This was supposed to be different for each person. All that they used was a feather and they all had one, which brought no unique personalities to the table. And, in my book, a feather in your hair is not a hat. The performance wasn't unique as well. They just copied Black Swan and did a funny improvisation of it. I am having a hard time seeing the clowning aspects of it. I don't mean to sound harsh, but I just didn't see the true assignment come out.

On the Tightrope -

I thought that this skit was adorable. I loved how they pretty much mimed everything (a clowning characteristic) and how all of their body language was very loose and silly. It was very vaudville-ish which gave it that typical "clown" feel. I was trying to see the different personalities with the different hats and couldn't see definite ones except Zak's. His hat gave him a persona of fear and he played along with it the whole time. I also loved how it was a total group effort to get from one place to the other and how they told the story of how they helped each other along. I thought that was very creative. I really would have liked some music in this skit though.

Speed-walking -

Our group had a lot of fun trying to figure out the concept of our event. I loved how my group was very supportive on the ideas other brought to the table. It is so nice to be able to work with people that are so easy to be around. We had an issue with the music and the internet access in the building but we overcame it and made it a part of our show which I thought was great. We had a lot of timing issues that needed to be worked on more. Knowing where to be on the track and at what time the "tricks" were supposed to happen is difficult with four people. Keeping the right pace was a big contributor to that problem. Everyone goes at a different pace and it just seemed to change all the time, but that is probably because we are human :) We incorporated the "rule of three" with our personalities and tricks that went along with them. Roberto, Sophia and I were the 3 "bad" guys and Danielle was the good guy who end up winning because the three of us were so focused on each other and not the finish line. I thought we had very strong personalities. I was the one trying to act all cool and cocky, Roberto was the one that was taking everything WAY too seriously, Sophia was very nonchalant about things and very "cool" and Danielle was kind of an old person who was goofy in her own way but was the one that kept focus on the final goal... the finish line. We also made sure that we incorporated our walking, skipping, galloping, running and other movements we worked on at the beginning of the semester. I feel that overall, we did a pretty good job and our music choices were "cool" thanks to Roberto and Dani :)

Great Job Everyone!!!

2 comments:

  1. I would say that Mallory's character was much different than Taylor's or Matt's, though as you say, they were centered on parody. I;m not sure that just because they were doing strict parody that the piece wasn't necessarily clowning, but you do bring up quite valid points as far as whether they actually had a clowning bit or a parody bit or both.

    What music would you have chosen for the tightrope team? :)

    Good comments.

    ReplyDelete