This is the blog for the Stage Movement Class at Metro State University in Denver. We'll be discussing our readings and viewings for class here.

Apr 15, 2011

Review, etc.

Black Swan:
While this interpretation lacked the original glide effect we saw in rehearsals, the overall effect was fanfriggintabulous. This interpretation is a good example of the parodic aspect of clowning. The overly emphasized gestures and inelegant vocal elements did well to draw metaphorical mustache Aronofsky's masterwork. All clowning has an element of parody in it, but it's generally a less-specialized form and more universal. Seeing a direct parody in performance was refreshing. As far as mechanics, the choreography being set to music was inspired. I really loved the facial expressions going on during the entire performance, how each character took the dancing so very seriously. The best thing I can say for this group: You made it look easy. It must have been very taxing to create that illusion.

Tight Rope:
I am very jealous of Zak's ability to do the Homer Simpson scream. I loved the illusion of balance and lack thereof during the scene, the use of an unstable space-prop worked incredibly well. I was very impressed how quickly each character was established with their first steps out onto the rope - Zak's false bravado, Nicole's absolute lack of fear, Christae's timidness, and Jen's nonchalance. Each one was really clear, even in the way they were breathing. I loved the ending as well, the shaky take-a-bow was incredible body work.

Breakfast of Champions (Speed Walking):
I pitched this idea to the group based on this piece I saw years ago during the Olympics about the Mexican bad-boy of speed walking who was constantly getting into trouble for jogging. I've always wanted to do something with that concept. I'm really glad it paid off as well as it did. It was rough doing rehearsals the first two weeks without all four team members there, but I think we really did something we can be proud of.

Working a clowning scene was much different than most other scene creation I've worked with. I found that while talking about a plan was useful, it worked better to talk and move at the same time. Working out the logistics of a gag became much easier, and much more fluid, when we got on, off, and around our feet. It also really helped with characterization. The brainstorming was by far the best part, just pitching ideas and trying them out made it a really exciting and fun/funny experiment.

I really feel like part of me was made for clowning. I'd forgotten just how much I'd enjoyed playing the fool as a little kid, but now that I've got a taste for it again, I'm not sure I can keep away. I think we need to pull a flash mob out of this, possibly do some pratfalls out of nowhere on the sixteenth street mall. How cool would that be?

1 comment:

  1. I'm teaching a workshop on physical comedy this summer in Boulder, if you'd like to continue.

    ReplyDelete