This is the blog for the Stage Movement Class at Metro State University in Denver. We'll be discussing our readings and viewings for class here.

Feb 14, 2014

Price is Right / Rivals

I watched the September 12, 1975 episode. The Price is Right models weren't very interesting. They were stiff with their body movements and pretty fake when it came to their enthusiasm to what they were doing. Basically it was like their directions were to be pretty but don't upstage the prizes.

I didn't like The Rivals. Personally it was really hared to follow what was going on in the plot. I think it was a combination of the way they spoke and the words themselves that didn't really fit for me. I was able to pick out the stock characters pretty well in this play so that's good. Reading this play wasn't fun, maybe if I saw it performed I would like it better.

As an actor it was semi interesting to see how the characters interacted with each other. Since this play was a Commedia dell Arte play I was able to relate it a bit in regards to the stock characters to other plays like it. The Importance of Being Earnest is the play that comes to mind as most closely related to this theme.

Claude Gillot (1673–1722), Four Commedia dell’Arte Figures: Three Gentlemen and Pierrot, c.1715

No comments:

Post a Comment