This is the blog for the Stage Movement Class at Metro State University in Denver. We'll be discussing our readings and viewings for class here.

Feb 5, 2014

Reading Response, BW Chapter 4


Wow, I was not expecting such in depth instructions and experiments. If we hadn’t already been experimenting with these in class, I may have actually tried some out, but I feel like I already have a pretty good grasp of the ideas/feelings.

Lessac describes buoyancy as “dynamic relaxation”. For me, relaxation is the wrong word. I would say if feels more fluid or air filled. How about “dynamic oxygenation”? That works better for me. I did like the term “creative calm” in the standing position. It brings to mind many helpful images.

For the Radiancy section, all I really needed were the words “vibration”, “shimmering” and “body spark”. Potency seems to me, from Lessacs description to be a little more energized than what I was imaging in class. I do understand the concept of the “body yawn” feeling though.

I found the vocal section to be brief, yet interesting. I may do some more research into that at a later time.

I can easily see how all of these exercises would be beneficial to any performer whether it be for acting, dancing, singing, or whatnot. 

Photo by Jess Eggart, July 2008. Phoenix, AZ. Miss Kitty-Kitty demonstrating Radiancy under the green chair, about to hunt the wild peacocks.

No comments:

Post a Comment