This is the blog for the Stage Movement Class at Metro State University in Denver. We'll be discussing our readings and viewings for class here.

Mar 20, 2014

Be a Clown and Stage Combat Chapter 3

Be a Clown

Be a Clown was a fun chapter to read and I really enjoyed the wacky pictures.  I had no idea clown hats were such a big part of the clown character -- I learned a lot.  I can see how a clown hat and costume would fill out the type of clown character you want to portray.  Indicating what you are doing and thinking while performing as a clown is important (which is quite different from acting when you definitely don't want to indicate). Something I'm looking forward to learning about is comic timing with just movement because it sounds like a challenge to find the exact right moment to hit a joke/gag.  After reading about the spit take I decided to try it and just ended up spitting out a mouth full of water onto the floor instead of spraying it (whoops).  The chapter inspired me to watch a Steve Martin movie and to go out and find my destined clown hat.

Stage Combat - Taihenjutsu

As I read through this chapter, I realized that some of what was making my backward rolls more difficult was that I forgot to use my core muscles which probably would have helped. :) Bridge tag sounds like a really excellent warm up and I suggest that we play that in class soon. My rolls all traveled pretty far last week and this week I would like to try rolling a much shorter distance.  The chapter was a good reminder for proper techniques when we do each of our rolls and falls and such because while I was reading, I realized that a couple of my rolls and falls had gotten a little sloppy already. I failed Ninja IQ test #1 and #2 the first time I tried them…not quite sure how that happened with the pictures demonstrating it. The main points were to fall, roll, jump, and move safely and quietly and to come down on your meat, not your bones. Also, that buddies can help you maintain proper technique and can spot you. 

I included the picture of the handstand because I aspire to someday be able to do one.


http://www.lottje.de/zeichnungen04.html 

No comments:

Post a Comment