This is the blog for the Stage Movement Class at Metro State University in Denver. We'll be discussing our readings and viewings for class here.

Mar 2, 2014

Costume Ideas & MA Part 4


This is the type of dress that I imagine Lucy would wear.  It is not as fancy as a high-class woman of 1775 England, but also not the dress of someone who spends all day scrubbing the floor:


Part 4 of MA:
Maybe it’s because I’m a dancer, but it’s always been a pet peeve of mine that all period dances look exactly the same when presented on stage in a theatrical production.  I don’t know if this is a lack of education on the choreographer’s part or the fact that it needs to remain simple so that the actors can learn it in a short amount of time.  Either way, I feel like I have a little more understanding of the difficulties after reading this chapter. 
The first thing that struck me in the reading and that I truly respect is on page 120 when she says, “I break many rules of the era, but by choice, because it helps the to tell the dramatic story today.” Yes, I say, always feel free to break the rules, but you must first know what they are and why you are breaking them.
I think another answer to my question comes from Peggy who say, “Keep it simple. Don’t try to turn actors into dancers.” I could see how that would make a lot of choreography look similar. 
Later, it says to make sure the actors are comfortable with their costumes, sets and music.  I don’t see that happening very often.  More often than not, the costumes are barely done in time and rehearsals begin way before the set is complete. I do think that in a perfect world, having the actors comfortable would absolutely be the best way.
I don’t think I will be taking advantage of any of the exercises in this chapter.  While they are not appropriate for me personally, I can see how they may help an actor with less dance experience.  

No comments:

Post a Comment