This is the blog for the Stage Movement Class at Metro State University in Denver. We'll be discussing our readings and viewings for class here.

Mar 3, 2014

Comedy of Manners & 13

Comedy of Manners:

Wow, I loved this reading.  Obviously, I haven't been in class so I'm not sure if I was supposed to read the whole thing, but I did.  I couldn't have stopped myself if I wanted to.  I found it fascinating! It seems to me like everything in their lives was like a dance performance.  You are performing very specific and difficult moves but must always make it look effortless. That takes a lot of practice. Then, we are talking comedy of manners, so the actors need to do this as well.

I particularly liked the exercise section.  How fun.  It could take a month just to perfect one of the many bows that were described. I could see myself really getting into this style.

This is me beginning to learn traditional North Indian dance. We spent about ten minuets on this one pose and twenty minuets on how to properly stomp. Even the eyes are choreographed. Reminds me of the manners we are reading about.

Chapter 13:

Wow, that one is out there. And this coming from a yoga instructor!  Is this something that a lot of people are working with? I do get the importance of understanding that your body takes up more space than it's physical mass, and that the your eyes, ears and voice have their own reach as well, but this chapter seemed so unscholarly. The poor quality of the drawing also helped to raise one of my eyebrows as I read.

No comments:

Post a Comment