This is the blog for the Stage Movement Class at Metro State University in Denver. We'll be discussing our readings and viewings for class here.

Mar 19, 2014

Be a Clown & Chapter 3

Photo taken at the Mexico City Clown Convention.  http://clikhear.palmbeachpost.com/2012/world-nation/south-america/laughter-is-a-serious-matter-at-mexico-city-clown-convention/


I thought I was going to be hard pressed to find an image of a clown that I liked, but there it was, right on google.  If you have a second to follow the link and take a look you will find several other very well done, airbrushed looking clowns.  Personally I find this much more appealing than the classic grease paint look.

Be A Clown Response:
I would be lost if I were to try to "become a clown" on my own.  I believe that starting with some costume pieces that you identify with is a great way to start. Before the reading, I did not realize that clowns had types and categories. It makes sense once you think about it.  How could a happy clown be in the same category as a sad clown? I would have liked to read some more examples of comic timing, something I think a lot of actors struggle with. I know I need to have it, but how do I get it?

I think clowning could help any actor in their theatrical training.  I believe it is always good to study as many forms of performance as possible. Clowning could help with an actor's comedic style by the actor either using the knowledge or consciously choosing to not be like a clown.

Chapter 3:

In the warm-up section, I particularly liked the visual of holding caterpillars in your hand and trying not to crush them while you smack your thighs.  When it came to the roll section, "stop, drop and roll" struck me as a great way to remember to get low and to pay attention to what you are doing. The fall section was a great description of what were have been doing in class.

 There were some really good wrist stretches in there later on as well that I have not done before.  I'm always excited to learn a new stretch! Overall I really enjoyed how easy this chapter was to read and how I could easily picture "holding a pizza" box up by my ear and see exactly where my hand should be, not to mention the helpful pictures.


No comments:

Post a Comment