This is the blog for the Stage Movement Class at Metro State University in Denver. We'll be discussing our readings and viewings for class here.

Mar 4, 2014

MA 27-35

I loved this reading on theatrical stillness. Stillness can be so powerful on stage whether it's a dance piece or a play or performance art. I particularly liked Bonnie Marranca phrase describing stillness on stage as "expanding time and framing scenes." It's amazing how still an audience will get when the stage becomes still. Sometimes you can actually see them squirming in their seats, waiting for the action to resume, as time stands still and the seconds feel like hours.
I have experienced this many times as a dancer, either on stage or as an audience member. In one particular production it was choreographed that I remain still at center stage, staring directly into  the eyes of the poor person sitting in front of me for a full 3 minuets while 6 dancers continued to on with the choreography around me. In almost every run of the performance, the person I was staring at began to cry. I think mostly because they were uncomfortable, not because I am some super star actor/dancer that brings people to tears :)
I also like the idea of Meyerhold's "...theatre of slow, profound, significant motions ..." It make me feel like I should be more aware of all of my motions, slow or otherwise, on stage or off.

Below, a still dance scene not made for motion. If you look closely you can see my tattooed arm sticking out near the middle.

Dulce Dance Theatre, 2008, Phoenix, AZ

No comments:

Post a Comment