This is the blog for the Stage Movement Class at Metro State University in Denver. We'll be discussing our readings and viewings for class here.

Mar 19, 2011

All the world loves a clown!

Mr.BEAN! Wow! What an incredible comic genius Rowan Atkinson is! It was such a pleasure watching his piece. He is brilliant at bringing hilarity to mundane tasks. I am so impressed by his specificity of actions. Although none of his movements were supremely hard, he was incredibly specific as to match his actions with the sound. In addition, he continued to follow through on his actions and fully believed in what was occurring, never once breaking character. I especially enjoyed the cat bit at the end.

Marcel Marceau has been a long time favorite of mine. My mother studied and competed in Pantomime in high school and passed her love of it onto me. When I was 13 I even dressed up as Bip the Clown for Halloween. I love his consistent fluid physicality. He never lacks engagement. Almost dance like, his movement flow from one movement fully thought-out and the lack of sound brought a very cool variety to it.

Bill Irwin…I can only dream of ever moving with such clarity! I love really liked the integration of the words to supplement the action, although it quite possibly would’ve been equally as strong without the dialogue.

I really enjoyed watching the differences in styles in these three performers. As a child my dream job was being a clown and/or pediatrician and working at a pediatric hospital. I thought that level of bedside manner would offer some release and freedom from the painful world sick children live in. Kids have the best imaginations. Perhaps if you have to ability to offer a full clowning class that might be something I can explore doing. How incredibly fun would it be to create characters and dress-up and go over to the Children’s Hospital and brighten a child's day? Sounds awesome to me!

No comments:

Post a Comment