This is the blog for the Stage Movement Class at Metro State University in Denver. We'll be discussing our readings and viewings for class here.

Mar 11, 2011

Rivals Scene Review

Rivals Scene

I really enjoyed the process of integrating physicality into our characters, and I felt utilizing the corset’s really helped.

Zach & Mallory’s scene was hilarious. I really appreciated the time they took to entirely polish their piece and take full advantage of the awkward romantic nuances in their selection. I felt like their scene had a ‘film noir’ feel to it and was a great performance, especially in embodying the character’s emotional life made the scene all the more enjoyable to watch.

Rachel and Taylor’s piece was super and very entertaining. I think all girls (and perhaps guys) can relate to the whole ‘getting caught up in the moment feel’. Although Julia is seemingly more levelheaded than Lydia, I especially liked how Taylor reacted and played off of Rachel’s character. The coughing bit was a hoot!

Roberto and Matt’s piece was also very wonderful. For whatever reason, Matt’s physicality really stood out to me and I loved how he carried himself. It sort of reminded me of a stork. I was reminded of Walt Disney’s “Robin Hood” when watching their scene. Roberto! I was very impressed with his fantastic understanding of the text and ability to present his character in a honest, funny light. Despite the line flubs, it made for an entertaining piece.

Jen, Nicole and Danielle had a great scene. It was really fun to see a different take on the same scene as I did. Danielle had a really strong grasp of the text and that made the scene even more fluid. Jen was very in the period. Nicole was lovely and easy to understand.

Working with Sophia was great. I really enjoyed to opportunity to work with someone who comes from a very different background than I. She was very helpful and we ended up being able to help one another in various ways and I think we both grew a lot.

I think the biggest challenges out class faced was fully grasping the language and focusing on the vocal qualities/dictations/accents necessary to make the scene full. However, this being a movement class, I’m happy with how it turned out.

No comments:

Post a Comment