This is the blog for the Stage Movement Class at Metro State University in Denver. We'll be discussing our readings and viewings for class here.

Mar 11, 2011

Rivals Scene Reviews


Image comes from here.

Christae and Sophia
They did a fantastic job. I particularly enjoyed Christae's integration of the mirror as a prop. It looked funny being used as a fan, but I'm quite sure she noticed, as she used it as a mirror later in the scene (for very comedic effect). I noticed her wrist movement was very careful and practiced while still maintaining the mask of ease and leisure. For Sophia, I have to compliment her on her timing, which was pretty perfect on a few choice lines. I do agree with Matt, a little more buoyant energy probably would have helped - or maybe just posture.

Danielle, Nicole, and Jen:
Danielle is both hilarious and scary when she puts on the Lydia voice. It was very well suited to the character, but also kind of disturbing at the same time. I loved the way she used her wrists to indicate things. Nicole's entrance was very well done, and I liked the way she used her skirt to accentuate the shape of her walk. Jen's use of turning was also very well done, as well as the way she presented the books in a Price is Right fashion.

Zak and Malolory:
Loved the use of voice and movement. The asides were done particularly well, especially Jack's comment to the audience over Lydia's head. The use of the flower was amazing: the timing, the physicality, the conflict between attempting to appear cool and the difficulty of the clothing was one of the funnier things I've seen this semester. Mallory's facial expressions to signal her intent after dropping the flower each time were also worth noting. I loved the way she held her eyes up and her lips partly puckered. I also very much enjoyed their use of the love seat as a prop piece and the standing and sitting efforts.

Rachel and Taylor:
As was said in class, the dueling fanning/fainting was hilarious. The posture for that bit added a lot, particularly with the corsets getting in the way (or enhancing it, depending on your point of view. I think I'd go with the latter). I loved the way they used their limbs while sitting, it was very evocative and brought the characters into a nice sharp focus.

As for my scene with Matt: After reading the other reviews, I can see it probably would have been better to have a bit more blocking. Once we started, though, it felt most natural to be close for this scene. If it'd been the argument scene, it probably would have been easier to note the places where a movement was called for. But que sera sera. The most challenging part for me was (as I'm sure was obvious), getting the lines down as written. I had more trouble memorizing this set of lines than any other piece I've done. I can do Elizabethan, I can do modern, I can do Victorian, but Restoration seems to have my number. That said, I loved this scene very much. Anthony is my favorite character in the whole of the play, and I love the way he carries himself.

As for movement: I tried to keep most of my movement in the chest and arms, as that's where I believe Anthony "lives." The torso is his center and all the rest of his body, as well as the universe, revolve around it. The pelvis is also important to him, as displayed in his lusting, but it's more denied, part of the appetite. The mask is all chest.

The coat was the hardest part of clothing to deal with, after the corset, shirt, tie, etc. were put on under them. I can say I think the people of the 18th century were quite insane trying to affect ease and easygoingness with clothing restrictions like that. It does raise some questions about the military men of the era and how the hell they managed to go to war. Not being able to bend was a trouble as well, even though I probably had more range of back movement than the whole of the rest of the class.

And finally, workout log: Did a lot of walking, particularly quick walking in order to run a few errands down town over the course of the week. Having trouble with my leg muscles getting extremely tight after a walk. Not sure why.

No comments:

Post a Comment