This is the blog for the Stage Movement Class at Metro State University in Denver. We'll be discussing our readings and viewings for class here.

Mar 6, 2011

Tabelaux...

So I became very inspired by the reading in “Movement for Actors.” I loved what they were talking about on page 28, Tableaux Vivants. “Tableaux Vivants, the frozen arrangements of costumed performers, were used to reproduce scenes from religion, art and literature throughout theatre history” (Potter, 28). It is such a strong statement to do such a thing. As many of you know, I am involved with the Denver Flash Mob, and I got to thinking... What if we did something like this! We do “freezes” which is where you get a group of people together in one place and at the same time, everyone freezes for 5 minutes. The people around respond in so many awesome ways. It is super entertaining. We have done a freeze on black friday at the Cherry Creek Mall and a freeze at the Sante Fe Art Walk. Now that I have read about Tableaux Vivants, I want to expand on our freezes and maybe do a freeze with a Tableaux Vivant influence. I am thinking about a reproducing a live version of famous paintings like the one with the dancing couple and the two guys holding the umbrellas. I think Jack Vettriano painted that. We could have someone down stage left holding the painting and have the actors freezing behind mimicing the painting. YAY! I am so excited!!! Fun happenings!

1 comment:

  1. There's the famous tableau vivant in Sunday in the Park with George, where the bustling park scene freezes into a famous Seurat painting (Sunday at the Grand Jatte)

    ReplyDelete