This is the blog for the Stage Movement Class at Metro State University in Denver. We'll be discussing our readings and viewings for class here.

Mar 5, 2011

Stillness and Workouts

When reading the stillness section of the book and they were talking about mimes and those people who have the job to stay and stand still in public, I agreed with the reading that it does seem to go against human nature to be perfectly still, especially in a society and world that is always about speed and movement. Whenever I have had an opportunity to see someone standing extremely still to the point of just breathing movement- I find myself transfixed and pulled deeper into the how do they do that and doesnt it hurt? In the class, we do a lot of movement to figure out our bodies and such, and at the times when we are just standing still and observing our bodies, my body starts to hurt a little from no movement. I do agree that actors and theatre is used to movement and telling a story with each other through movement-I just never thought you could really tell a story with just two people stiiting there talking to the audience- but really one another. I understand more the tableux that we do in class- as each character in the picture tells their own story. Whenever im sitting, I find myself always moving or fidgiting/adjusting my body, and often times my boyfriend puts his hand in my leg to stop it from shaking- only because it bugs him, but when he does that- i am aware of what my body is doing. It's hard for me to sit still, and people who are able to train themselves- I give them major credit!

Workouts for me this week were few and far between due to work, and dropping and picking people up from trips and finding time. If anything, i did a lot of walking around the campus, and at work. Sorry- will do more this next week. Seeing that it's been nicer outside, I may start going for some runs!

No comments:

Post a Comment