This is the blog for the Stage Movement Class at Metro State University in Denver. We'll be discussing our readings and viewings for class here.

Mar 6, 2011

In the midst of movement and chaos, keep stillness inside of you.


Wow. This reading brought so many things to mind. Initially, when I was considering stillness, I was thinking about meditation and prayer. I’m always on the go and so I find myself less willing to allow my mind an opportunity to stop and smell the flowers.

I think part of my reluctance is the vulnerability you must exhibit to provide stillness. When still, there no option to vocalize neither your emotions, nor any opportunity to make it physically adaptive.

When I am sitting in prayer, or meditation, for example in a public area it seems unacceptable in some ways to deter from where my set focus is. However, when I notice others noticing me… that is the first thing I want to do. I would prefer to break that abnormality and be ‘comfortable’ again. I would say that society creates a large percentage of that stigma around the vulnerability of stillness.

This reading reminded me in a theatrical sense, of tableaux on-stage and the extreme importance of them. I vividly recall watching a play in high school, at our MT State Thespian Conference about controversy regarding the mention of God in the Pledge of Allegiance. The cast had 3 main characters who did a lovely job, but the most stunning part was the additional 25 people onstage who froze in tableaux, for 10-15 minutes at a time in the background, during 4 different scenes. It was memorable and it was beautiful. It took incredible focus from all of them in order to pull it off. Had one of them been unfocused, it would have ruined the whole allusion. Had they opted not to include them, they play wouldn’t have been nearly as good.

No comments:

Post a Comment