This is the blog for the Stage Movement Class at Metro State University in Denver. We'll be discussing our readings and viewings for class here.

Mar 6, 2011

Vulnerability in Stillness

My first exerince with stillness was when i was young. I was sent away into my room after doing something wrong. Once there I was expected to sit in complete stillness or I would have more time put to mt punishment. I dwell on thus because I remember the focus I would have internally to not move a muscle. The fear of mY audience (which at the time was my step father) seeing me move and breaking my stillneas.
The second time I Experienced stIllness was when I visited Barcelona. There were Several if not hundreds of street performers who mastered the art of being completely still. It was such a wonder to experience this theatrical sight. I feel that theatre is happenening all around us during these exploits of performance. We go to the theatre to escape into another story for a brief period of time. But with street perFormers and those who take part in public flash mobs who freeze in place force us to Take a moment to escape into this realty and reflect on our own reality.
Theatrical stillness not only takes place on the stage, it works from our past expEriences and it is brought upon us from performers who stay frozen in front of us in public. On the stage it hElps us dictate focus and set mood. I commemorate the actors in Major Barbara who stay still on the stage for the final scene. They have one of the toughest Jobs of all. They paint the picture and set The mooD of the scene. By the way, I want to sat sorry for any grammatical errors in this post. I typed it all on my phone.

No comments:

Post a Comment