This is the blog for the Stage Movement Class at Metro State University in Denver. We'll be discussing our readings and viewings for class here.

Feb 26, 2011

Bubbles!

I have to agree with Danielle... I too have lived in a different country and their bubble space is SO much smaller. You must have that "closeness" to everyone and if you do not, you are considered odd and you can be thought of as offensive. When I lived in Brasil, everyone speaks to you so much closer face to face. Even the proxemics of the way their cities are made reflect that. Street lanes are significantly smaller than they are here and so is their architecture. It is like the buildings are stacked on top of each other. You also must greet EVERYBODY with two kisses on the cheek. This was such a culture shock for me because I am actually a very reserved and introverted person. It seems like much of the world is like this. We are the ones that have the "spherical" issues here in America it seems. Because I lived in Brasil, I feel that I am able to communicate better to people because I had my "bubble" popped. You actually feel so much closer and understand people better when you don't form that wall.

1 comment:

  1. It has to do with some cities also being "old-world"--for example, some cities in England, France, and Italy (among many others) there are still roads and leaning porticos literally from several centuries ago, when there weren't even any carriages, let alone cars, and people were even built smaller.

    ReplyDelete