This is the blog for the Stage Movement Class at Metro State University in Denver. We'll be discussing our readings and viewings for class here.

Feb 11, 2011

The Price is Wrong, bitch.

But seriously, I have to agree with Rachel, the models are a bit on the creepy side. Here's a video I found that illustrates the point quite well in my opinion. I muted the audio, couldn't stand the song. Here's what I noticed (observations from multiple videos):
1. Holy Wrists, Batman. It's pretty amazing how they draw attention away from their bodies with their hands. Lots of slow, sweeping gestures while the wrists and hands make almost perfect-box shapes to illustrate the dimensions of the product being shown. Never pointing with a single finger, only those weird multi-digit gestures.
2. Smile-wide, smile-without-teeth, smile-wide. Repeated time and time again. I want their dentist.
3. While the movements are always exaggerated, they aren't particularly big. Every muscle twinge has an elevated "look at me" quality to it, even if it's just flicking a finger.

For the exercises, I watched people in the Tivoli atrium at lunch time and people on the quad near where the flagpole used to be. As Rachel, I noted that people who were telling stories were very eye-catching. I also noticed that some people as they walked were magnetic, and tended to pull my vision away from others. People who looked like they were in agony while attempting to do homework also had a noticeable quality. Conversely, people buried in homework I had to look for specifically to notice. I also noticed a set of two people talking in the atrium that got special attention because one was a notice-right-away guy while the other was a look-for-specifically-to-notice woman. He had a lot of...something. Not exactly stage presence, but maybe interest? He seemed to be really interested in whatever the woman was talking about, which made him very easy to pay attention to. She, on the other hand, looked uncomfortable every time he stopped talking...until about five minutes when he said something that got her to look surprised. And then she seemed to get a lot more relaxed, and her whole posture changed: shoulders untensed, eyes kept focused on the guy instead of darting around the room, back straightened up. She didn't smile, but she seemed relieved. I'm not sure if she became easier to notice, exactly, but it became a lot easier to pay attention to her.

I noticed emotions going with either set quite readily. Happier tended to be a lot more visible than sad. There were also angry expressions that were pretty easy to notice and sullen expressions that were harder to see. People with laptops seemed to just fade away into the woodwork, regardless of expression. On the quad, people who looked cold seemed to have the same aura, like they were closed off to the world.

Exercise two:
I didn't have a lot of trouble getting a professor's attention without speaking, lots of eye contact, lots of focus on what they were saying. That said, couldn't really get the "personal address" part of the assignment. I tried non-verbal communication with workshop partners in my English class as well, to similar results. Not a whole hell of a lot happened. As for trying to disappear into the crowd, I just couldn't do it. I even tried day-dreaming, but then I'd notice the professor was looking specifically at me to get my attention back on track. So this one...well, it didn't work.

Work-out log forth-coming.

1 comment:

  1. Yeah, we profs (especially theatre profs) tend to try and take stock of our whole class. It's certainly a challenge.

    Excellent detail on your observations!

    ReplyDelete