This is the blog for the Stage Movement Class at Metro State University in Denver. We'll be discussing our readings and viewings for class here.

Feb 5, 2011

Radiant Flute

I enjoyed reading both the article as well as the story. While reading both of the literature I began to think about how this related to me and my process in acting. I must say that with both I felt that I could connect with one on more than a level of just theatre, and the other I find new and exciting experiments to play with.

"The Prologue" was an enticing read about improv, creativity, and inspiration. Each one universal on any artistic medium ranging from music to drawing to theatre. I was able to relate with my acting process and how improv comes into play, not only when performing improv, but also when I get a script for the first time and I begin to find my character. There is the time when we first meet, and that is just reading the text over and over again, sitting down for lunch in a sense. Getting to know one another and seeing where this relationship may go. Then comes the honeymoon phase. This is where the improv and muse comes in. You play with each other and allow different emotions come into play and allow the script into yourself on a whole new level. Then after the honeymoon phase comes rehearsal and the need for commitment. Once I commit to how the work is performed, it is similar to the pen writing down music on a spread sheet. It was completely relatable to the process of embodying a character.

In reading about Bouyancy, Radiancy, Potency, and Inner-Involvement, I noticed that there is an experiment that could take place with all of this; something to try for character development. I noticed that the subjects take on chronological rhythm from beginning with nothing and building up to an emotional state to embody your character. After reading the lines, or even if I memorized the lines, take an afternoon and practice the exercises from the reading and what we learned in class and, exercise. I would like to see where this would take me when i have a character in mind. I want to see if there is a difference between using the exercises while developing, to the many other methods of character development I have picked up along the way in college.

No comments:

Post a Comment