This is the blog for the Stage Movement Class at Metro State University in Denver. We'll be discussing our readings and viewings for class here.

Feb 11, 2011

Exercise 1, 2 and Price is Right

I work at Starbucks adn a lot of people come into the store that I am at as well groups that come in to sit down and just chat. I decided to do exercise 1 at work one day when the lobby and all the tables were really busy and all taken up. As i scanned the crowd, there were a couple people to choose from but the person that I noticed the most was a dad and his daughter. They had come in and were sitting down at a table enjoying a father daughter date or night out- what it looked like anywyas. What caught my eye was actually how loud the dad was talking about the plans that they should do for the night- should they cook pancakes or french toast and then if they should make chocolate chip ice-cream sandwiches. He seemed and acted like a very loving and doting and fun father and just listening to how animated he was about their night together made me want to join them for the festive night.

The person that didnt catch my attention was what I assumed was a college student. I guessed that because they were hunched over their laptop and had textbooks about the table and dressed in a sweater as well as a hat. He was very quiet and kept to himself and didnt make much movement as well. Would makes sense as to why I wouldnt pay much attention.

For exercise two, the eye contact part as well as getting the attention of a person or professor wasnt all the hard for me. In highschool one of my volleyball coaches trained us to look him as well as everyone else in the eye when they are talking, and especially when they are talking to you. Since then, I feel like I have had that instilled in me and can keep eye contact when needed. However, I also feel that I can make myself invisible and not really noticable when I dont want to be noticed.

The Price is Right:
When watching teh Price is Right, not only did I enjoy it- because it's a great show, better when Bob Barker was the host- but the games and people are fun to watch. When watching the models, I never noticed how precise their hands and gestures were when presenting the prizes. I also noticed how tight the clothes really were and the uber high heels. What I "loved" the most was how fake the smiles were. It does make sense to me though that they have to have that smile on the entire show. The models do have a hard job to be that precise and happy all the time with everything!

3 comments:

  1. I noticed you very easily become invisible--was it difficult for you to look your coach in the eye, etc.?

    ReplyDelete
  2. At first it was cause i'm ok with not standing out and drawing attention to myself, after time though it became habit with him

    ReplyDelete