This is the blog for the Stage Movement Class at Metro State University in Denver. We'll be discussing our readings and viewings for class here.

Feb 1, 2011

Reactions to some deep reading...

I do have to say that I was very impressed with the reading that we had to do. There were two things in particular that really stood out to me. And fortunately, I was able to connect with one insight from each piece and kinda tie them together.

Reading "The New Flute" was very inspiring. I know that it seemed to focus on improvisation in life, but I like to think that it focused on the true sense of letting go and setting your heart free. Of course I loved the Japanese story about the flute player and how he didn't "get his wings" until he went through a life full of disappointment and despair. Then, he could truly appreciate his gift of flute playing and just "set it free" and become Godly. As a new actor, this concept is very hard for me to comprehend. Also, I am a perfectionist therefore it is very hard for me to "just let go." It inspired me to rethink how important theatre is to me and if I am willing to take that "leap of faith" and be prepared to splat on the ground. It is not until I peel myself off of the ground hundreds and hundreds of times, that I will finally get why I love theatre. I enjoy doing theatre and there is a sense of it "calling out to me." Now I just need to be prepared to take on the rigorous journey and look toward the day I can set my heart free. There was one part that I did disagree with though. The part where it states, "Finished artworks that we see and may love deeply are in a sense the relics or traces of a journey that has come and gone." Then a note is written that this cannot be done in theatre even if it is recorded. I think that every form of artwork has a journey and that journey is individual to the artist that brought it life. In theatre, the remains are the memories that are instilled in the mind from different shows or other theatrical experiences. We recall our growth. If we didn't, we would still be putting up the pageant plays we did in elementary school. It may not be apparent to the public, but the actor's journey is displayed in his progression to success. Shows come and go... acting classes come and go... singing lessons come and go but the point is that we move forward and learn. Each of these steps of learning are contributing to the "journey" and pave the way to our dreams. And that can be seen by others.

The body works reading was fun in that you can see which energy state you are stronger in. I loved reading about the buoyancy because that is where i feel I fall strongest. I love the feeling of being buoyant. I was a fish as a kid and competitively swam through high school. There is just a sense of relaxation and escape when I am in the water. I can't really describe it in words. The feeling you get when you are buoyant in water is just magical for me. I always wished I was a mermaid and still do! I completely change in the water, physically, mentally and emotionally.

I connect the feeling of being buoyant with the act of setting your heart free. I imagine for myself that that would be what it feels like when doing theatre. I just need to figure out how to do it! haha.

1 comment:

  1. Part of that "letting go" you speak of has a lot to do with stopping the internal editor while in process work, at least. It tends to be a hard thing to do in school or when one is a perfectionist, but process should be messy. :)

    ReplyDelete