This is the blog for the Stage Movement Class at Metro State University in Denver. We'll be discussing our readings and viewings for class here.

Feb 26, 2011

Spherical Sphery Spheres (And back-bone parentheses)

So have you ever screwed with people's personal space bubbles just to see how they work? I think it's pretty fascinating. I think it's kind of a misnomer to call them space bubbles, though. It's more like space-half-spheres, at least in America. I've walked right behind people without them noticing me or feel discomforted, as long as I'm quiet. But if i walk in front of them or beside them, they want to move further to the side, further ahead, or way further behind. I generally try not to push this one too much, as the result could easily be mace or pepper spray. thankfully, I'm one of the least intimidating looking people on the planet. But, there are other ways to experiment, such as when we willingly destroy the bubble, like in an elevator. Turning around to face the crowd totally screws up the half-sphere. Likewise, turning to face peoples eyes from any direction on the light rail totally screws with the half spheres.

I have also noticed that certain friends that I feel more comfortable with have more sphere to them. You can totally disrupt their space by waving your hand near their back, at least if they have decent spacial awareness. Try it out, theatre folk. The results are very amusing.

As for the sense spheres - that's really interesting. I've been tinkering with the idea of a growing and contracting range for my senses, but I never would have thought of it as a sphere, even though that makes sense. I have noticed that my own and people's ability to comprehend a sense changes drastically depending on environment, but I never thought it had to do with space as much as how much stimuli that particular sense had to process. The sad thing is, this just makes me want to screw with it to see how it works in people. Now the question is whether I start with friends, family, or innocent bystanders.

The vocal sphere makes perfect sense to me. I do notice that voices change radically due to space, besides other factors. I'm always amazed at how some people without any training at all can fill a room with their voice without any technological help.

So, posture. I totally dig the parenthesis argument, and I like the idea of no natural straight lines. I've also come to realize that I've been holding my legs in a slightly wrong position after looking at the diagrams. Which leads me to a question: Why do so many cultures have different postures? And what is the most "natural" posture? Even among the hunter-gatherer cultures still alive today, I notice that from tribe to tribe posture is way different.

Anywho...oh my I need to leave. Right, workout report: I didn't do anything this week. I felt kind of sick. Not a great excuse, but I'll try to make up for it in the coming week.

1 comment:

  1. Slacker!
    No, I only went to the gym once this week, so I can't talk. :)

    ReplyDelete