This is the blog for the Stage Movement Class at Metro State University in Denver. We'll be discussing our readings and viewings for class here.

Feb 15, 2011

Had some technical difficulties

This past week, I also attended RMTA and as Rachel said, there was ample opportunity to people watch. This morning, we gathered in the Holiday Inn lobby, prior to auditions. Using the instructions from Exercise one, I conducted a surface scan. There were probably close to 50 people spread in various groups around the lobby, but initially the only person who caught my attention was a technician who was wrapping up microphones chords. He was wearing all stage blacks, so his clothing really didn’t account for much when he caught my attentions. He was using large gestures, but not speaking at all.

The person(s) that were least noticeable were a group of 3 sitting in a small circle, looking over a stage layout. They were dressed up in blacks and tans, and they were also very quiet, but the main reason they didn’t catch my attention was their lack of physical movement.

I would say the potency or intensity that the technician was doing his job was what gave him energy and drew me to him.

Exercise 2, I did when I was in a smaller group receiving instructions for the Musical Theatre Competition. I don’t exactly know if I was able to influence her to look at me more than anyone else. It was an odd experience, but I certainly intend to try it again at my auditions this weekend.

As for The Price is Right, I was equally disturbed by the behaviors of the models. Everything they do is exactly calculated and not much has changed since the beginning of the program, as I watched a few videos on Youtube from all the decades. They moved extremely smoothly in heels and their hand and body movements are very ridged, almost Barbie like. I realize the subjugation/ reinforced stereotype of woman as mindless objects who are simply there to be beautiful ‘set dressings’ isn’t going to change in advertising, but that is disturbing to seeing in began in the 1950’s.

No comments:

Post a Comment