This is the blog for the Stage Movement Class at Metro State University in Denver. We'll be discussing our readings and viewings for class here.

Feb 19, 2011

The Rivals... so silly

I do have to admit that I am actually really excited about my scene with Taylor. At first, it was just a matter of finding a scene that fit for two people, but now we have discovered that it is a hilarious scene that is incredibly silly. I can't wait to act this scene out. I am laughing just talking about it. Now as far as the movement of this period, I find it very difficult. I was not there last week so I got the crash course today. After walking around for 15 minutes or so with the "1740's" walk, I got so tired. My arms felt like they were about to fall off and my back felt hyperextended. It probably wasn't, it is just that I am so used to slouching, haha! Maybe doing this walking exercise will help me and my posture in the long run. Maybe I will start doing that daily and put it in my workout log lol! I just cannot imagine having 25 pounds of clothing on AND doing this walk/stance for hour on end! They must have been in fabulous shape back then! Now I know that "The Rivals" is a Comedy of Manners but part of me feels that it is actually a step above it in a way. I almost felt that it was a full exaggeration of Comedy of Manners and that is what made it so ridiculous. Does anyone else agree with me? I compare it to "The Importance of Being Earnest," and find that the dialogue and subtext in "The Rivals" requires more than the usual Comedy of Manners. But then when we acknowledged this play as having the Commedia characters, and then it hit me! This play is on character crack! I love it! There are still so many things that I am trying to figure out like Jacks strange personality, but I think all of the nonsense is starting to make sense... if you know what I mean ;) This next few weeks are going to be fun!

1 comment:

  1. Well, "Earnest" is about a century later than "Rivals," so a lot of it has to do with that. In other words, Rivals is an actual Restoration Comedy of Manners, and Earnest is a later play written in an earlier style. Does that make sense?

    "Character crack"--I love it! :)

    ReplyDelete