This is the blog for the Stage Movement Class at Metro State University in Denver. We'll be discussing our readings and viewings for class here.

Feb 11, 2011

The Price is Right is Creepy

I watched some of the classic 1980's Price is Right and those models scare me in all their plasticness. I was very quickly reminded of Barbie and Miss America. Is it just an American thing to be a stiff no-brained, big-haired beauty or is that something the rest of the world does too? Actually the Price is Right models may be scholars for all I know but I kept feeling like the point is for them to look cheap and easy, like dolls. When Bob Barker was "interviewing" them in one video, he didn't even stop to hear their response. The models in Deal or No Deal do the same thing too. I think the art of "blending in" but "standing out" is combined in the way the models act. They are not supposed to draw too much attention to themselves because they are presenting a product but at the same time they need to be nice to look at, for me this produces a sort of femmebot creepiness.

Anywho!

I decided to do Experiment 1 on the crowded lightrail. Most people keep to themselves but the person that stood out to me at first was a man on his cell phone who was announcing his side of the conversation loud and clear so everyone would know what he would be having for dinner that night and why his daughter didn't want to go to volleyball practice. I was beginning to fear that he may have had a prostate exam (or something else personal that everyone on the train didn't want to know about) to announce loudly. Clearly this man stood out because he was loud and obnoxious.
The second time around I noticed a younger guy, most likely an Auraria student who was keeping to himself and listening to headphones, but I could hear the music coming from his headphones which was a little distracting. It was nothing, however, compared to the man on his cellphone so that is probably why I overlooked him the first time. The person I noticed the least was a woman who was very quietly reading, she wasn't doing anything even remotely distracting and was sitting crammed next to a window so she wasn't directly near me either. She seemed a little mousy like she wanted to blend in or like she may have been shy, the guy with the headphones didn't appear shy and he also did not appear to care that his music was really loud. I don't even know about the guy on the cellphone. I don't think he realized he was shouting his business out to everyone.

For exercise 2 I was at Sam's Club where some lady had a popular BBQ sample stand where there were a few shoppers and she was explaining whatever the BBQ sauce and cooking method was to them. I felt kind of stupid "commanding her attention with my gaze" because she kept looking at me like I was perhaps just TOO interested in the BBQ. She stopped what she was saying to give me a sample. She probably just thought I was a creepy, hungry person. After I had my sample I sunk back into the small group of customers. I didn't exactly remain "willfully unknown and unseen" because it wasn't the ideal situation to do the experiment, but I got the gist of it.

No comments:

Post a Comment