This is the blog for the Stage Movement Class at Metro State University in Denver. We'll be discussing our readings and viewings for class here.

Feb 4, 2011

Reading Response

I really enjoyed reading the flute piece as I feel more at home with music and that type of art, not only because I feel that it helps me to relax, but I also have a connection to it because I myself play the violin. Many of the things that were talked about in the introduction are true too. For example, I did often wonder how such beautiful music could be made or be formed out of a composers head. Every time I would play a piece, I loved the way all the notes worked together to paint a masterpiece and i was happy to be a part of it. I also loved the beginning story of the flute player too.

Our other reading from body wisdom was a little harder for me to get intune with as im not much of a person to let myself float or even think about those types of things. However, I was reminded of our classroom exercises that we did with the four, but really three, non-derived primitive states. With the buoyancy section, I remembered how my arm felt after I had pushed it up against the wall for some time and then had a free floating up feeling to it. In the radiancy section, it made me also think of how my body felt during that exercise, how I felt like I was full of energy and almost ready to burst open. With the potency section, it was a little harder for me to get in tune with my body for that exercise for whatever reason, but I still can imagine how it could make a person feel when moving their body.

When they got to the exercise part of the book, and the buoyancy and the breathing and everything, I was reminded of how I feel whenever I am stretching and breathing deeply. When I am not fully relaxed, my body is tense and not "weightless." When I am stretching though, and I take a deep breath, and if I am lying on the floor, I do feel my arm or whatever body part I'm working on begin to feel light and "weightless" as I exhale. The same goes for when I am in a body of water. I have always found it amazing how light and free filling water can make a body feel, and reading the exercises I can see and feel and imagine how my body might feel and react as well.

No comments:

Post a Comment